Setting Up MacPPP 2.x with TCP/IP
This document explains how to set up MacPPP 2.x.
Step 1 : Configuring Open Transport TCP/IP
- From the Apple menu, select Control Panels.
- Open the TCP/IP control panel.
- Set Connect via to MacPPP and Configure to Using
- IP address, Router address and Subnet mask should all
look like this: <will be supplied by server>
- For Name server addr, enter 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52
(one set of numbers on each line.)
- For Additional search domains, enter mikka.net.au
- Note: If you have a field called Starting Domain Name as shown on
the screenshot above, type in mikka.net.au in the space provided. Some versions of
Open Transport TCP/IP do no include the Starting and Ending Domain Name
- Close the window and confirm that you wish to save changes.
- You should now restart your computer.
Step 2 : Configuring MacPPP to Dial Mikka
- From the Apple menu, select Control Panels and
choose Config PPP.
- Click on the Config button.
- Name the PPP Server. The PPP Server Name should be Mikka.
- Set the Port Speed, ie. Your Modem Speed
- Set the Phone Num: 9631 1000
- For Modem Init, use the initialization string recommended by the
manufacturer of your modem. This string should be in your modem manual. If all else fails,
try AT &F or leave it blank.
Step 3 : Entering Authentication Information
- Click on the Authentication button.
- For Auth. ID, enter your Mikka Internet username.
Note: Your username is not the same as your e-mail address; if your e-mail
address is email@example.com, then your username is jsmith.
Note also that usernames and passwords are case-sensitive.
- For Password, enter your password.
- Click OK to save this information.
- Click OK once more to return to the ConfigPPP Control Panel.
Step 4 : Connecting to Mikka Internet
- From the Apple menu, select Control Panels and choose Config PPP.
- To connect to Mikka Internet, click Open.
- The modem will then dial Mikka Internet. Once a modem connection has been established and you have been successfully authenticated, start a network application such as Internet Explorer or Netscape.
- To disconnect, close all network applications; return to the Config PPP control
panel and click the Close button.