Setting Up Windows NT 4.0 Dial-Up Networking
This document explains how to set up Windows NT 4.0 Dial Up Networking for use with Mikka Internet. Before starting, ensure you have the original Windows NT 4.0 CD available.
Step 1 : Installing a Modem
Step 2 : How to Install and Configure Remote Access Service
- Click on the Start button, usually located in the lower left hand corner of the screen.
- From the Start menu, select Settings and choose Control
- In the Control Panel, double click the Modems icon.
- If your modem is already installed, you should see it listed here. Skip
to Step 2.
- If you have not already installed your modem, click Add, and the Install
New Modem Wizard should appear. Click Next to install the modem
automatically. If you wish to install the modem manually, click the box marked
Don't detect my modem. If you choose to do a manual installation, you will need
to know the manufacturer and model of your modem, as well as the COM port which the modem
is using. If all else fails, try Standard 28800 or Standard 14400
and try setting the COM
Port to COM 2.
If you have connected to the Internet before, Remote Access Service will most likely already be installed on your computer. To check that it is correctly installed follow these instructions. You may need your Windows NT CD so please ensure you have it before you start.
Step 3 : Configuring Dial-Up Networking
- Open the Control Panel. (Click on the Start button then Settings then select Control Panel)
- Double click on Network.
- Click on the Services tab.
- If you see Remote Access Service on the list of options it has already been installed - Go to Step 9 to Configure RAS. If you do not find it on the list complete the following steps:
- Click onto the Add button.
- Select Remote Access Service and click OK.
- Windows may prompt you for your Windows CD. Insert your CD into the CD ROM drive. Windows will copy the files you require to your hard drive from the CD. This may take a few minutes.
- You will need to restart your computer for the new settings to take effect. Click on Start, Shutdown, put a check next to Restart and hit OK.
To Configure Remote Access Service:
- Double click on Remote Access Service. You should see your modem listed. If there is no modem listed you will need to install a modem. To do this click on Add and follow the prompts.
- Highlight your modem and click Configure.
- Put a tick in the box Dial out only and click OK
- Click Network, check TCP/IP but nothing else should be ticked. Click OK
- Click Continue then click Close. You will then be prompted to restart your machine at which point you should click Yes
Step 4 : Dialing
- From the Desktop double click on My Computer, then double click Dial-Up Networking.
- Click New.
- Type Mikka Internet into the Name field and click Next.
- Place a tick in the third box that says "The non-windows NT server I am calling...". Click Next.
- Type the phone number of Mikka Internet - 9631 1000 into the Phone Number field.
- Select Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) and click Next
- Set the logon script to None and click Next
- Leave the IP address set to 0.0.0.0. Click Next.
- You will then be prompted for Name Server Addresses which should read as follows:
DNS Server: 126.96.36.199
WINS Server: 0.0.0.0
then click Finish
Step 5: Connecting
- Double-click the icon in the Dial-Up Networking folder :
- Ensure the phone number is correct and click Dial to connect.
- The Connect to... window will appear :
In the User Name box enter your Mikka Internet username.
Enter your password in the Password box. The Domain box should be left
Click Ok to connect. Once connected, the window should minimize itself,
and a new phone icon should appear in your System Tray (The indented area on the
right-hand side of the taskbar)
- Note: Your username is not the same as your e-mail address. If your e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org, your username is simply joe. Note also that usernames and passwords are case-sensitive.
To disconnect, double-click the phone icon in the System Tray. The Dial-Up
Properties window will appear. Click the Hang Up button to disconnect.